Sunday, August 2, 2015

Karate for Life, From Head to Toe

This morning I washed my hair in the sink, which I do when I want to use hot water, because I take cool showers to avoid passing out.  I felt the rug bunching up beneath my toes because I had been gripping it like we practice gripping the floor in karate!  I knocked one of my knees (gently) against the cabinet because I had been keeping my knees slightly bent as I'd practiced in physiotherapy!  This is fantastic!  A year ago I could not have washed my hair easily, and my hair had been shaven short.

Not everyone who practices martial arts will subscribe to martial arts as a lifestyle.  But everyone who practices martial arts will, at some point, observe a lifestyle impact.  Clearly, the lifestyle impact for me has been profound, by the cumulative impact of small changes.  For one thing, I don't fall so much anymore, which means I don't carry my cane so much anymore, which means my hands don't suffer so much, which means I don't suffer so much.

Sensei says it's when we are tired that we need to work the hardest to stay focused.  He also says it's important to focus on the small things, like foot positioning.  These points have worked out well for me, without having to be complex.  Goju Ryu can get complicated, but the most basic elements are straightforward, which helps me stay grounded, with my feet firmly planted, and my toes curled around the rug!

Be well.


No comments:

Post a Comment