Thursday, August 28, 2014

Nakamura-Sensei: a leader, but a person

Nakamura-Sensei has taken a picture of a place I will likely never see in my lifetime, but which has an important place in my heart. This is Higaonna-Sensei's dojo in the morning. The modest figure in the mirror is Nakamura-Sensei's reflection. I'm grateful for this image, it is serenity.

I loved training with them and with all the IOGKF karateka.  Higaonna-Sensei said to me, "You are working hard, but it also looks like you are having fun. I like that!"

I would have the time of my life if I ever got to visit Higaonna-Sensei's dojo, or Japan at all. I have so many great Japanese friends and family that even though my Japanese language skills are very rusty I would enjoy myself and smile the entire time. I would host the Japanese tea ceremony and tell each guest why they were important to me. I might even put ice in the matcha, I hear the weather has been hot.

I'm not sure that Nakamura-Sensei realizes how he touches the hearts of so many people. I think of he really knew, it would be difficult for him to be as modest as he is! He is just a man at the end of the day, but to me he is a great man, having great generosity and compassion. He is exactly what Japan hopes for--someone who makes Japanese society seem perfectly groomed, flawlessly well mannered. And yet, as an Okinawan, I wonder if he identifies with Japanese traditions in that way, or if he just knows very well how to behave in society. Best of all, I consider him my friend.

Anyway, I can imagine enjoying very much a morning like this in Higaonna-Sensei's dojo. I would sit zazen first thing and recite Dojokun, then practice hojo undo. In my wildest dreams, I would practice here beside my own Sensei. 

Be well.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Zebro,
    Been reading your blog for a while now. I keep admiring your hard work and ability to cope with your complicated reality.
    Just one small correction - Nakamura sensei is not an Okinawan... he is from Osaka.
    Hope you will be able to go one day to Higaonna sensei's dojo. It is a great experience.

    ReplyDelete