Sunday, January 5, 2014

Martial Arts and Philosophy

Ever has there been an argument on being intelligent versus being well rounded.

Growing up the way I did, I am only intelligent because library books are free. Libraries had heat and clean, running water, while I didn't always live in a place that had one or the other. It took survival skills: learning where those resources were, and getting those needs met, in order to access the font of free information. Libraries were also open until 9 p.m., which was about the time that my mother could pick me up after her third job. I don't mean this as a sob story, but it's important to share my background. If the library had not been an option, I might have hung out at a deli (though I wouldn't have been able to have bought anything) or another place that met my needs, but which may not have been a safe or developmental environment.

The library where I spent my time was right across the street from my school, which made it easy to access. The front entrance of the library is where all of the kids hung out to smoke, doing their drinking and drugging right in the saddle of priceless opportunities to become better as people. Twenty years later I am certain that those who are not dead are mostly working dead-end jobs to feed the suffering life of addiction. I could have easily been among them had it not been for the fact that they regularly picked on me and followed me to beat me up. At the time I had no idea how to fight, but I had fingernails as sharp as claws that rendered it simple to sustain a grip on flesh that planned to hurt me. As an adult I regret those fights.

I was the kid who dashed into corner stores and hid all afternoon from the pack outside, until I could call somebody to come and get me, or some merciful adult offered me a ride home. In hindsight it was a very bad idea to accept rides from strangers, but it was a tough place and time, which required faith. I still have that faith.

Why did it seem I made enemies wherever I went? Well, I was overweight and they were bullies. I moved constantly, so I was chronically the new kid. I never had time or energy to establish myself as no-easy-target, to make friends, or to identify safe spaces.

This book, "Martial Arts and Philosophy," explores character development in relation to self-defense. As we continue to grow the mechanisms that may have worked for us at one time might now be in the way, useless or ineffective in an adult world with adult rules. Learning about technos, pathos, ego, and a bunch of other fancy Greek or Latin words changes the look of the battle. I'm enjoying the book but thoughts of my past come up when I'd rather be thinking about the present moment or the future.

The key is balance. Learn from the past, accept now, and choose wisely for the future. I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment