Thursday, May 15, 2014

Busted Hip

During warm-up I dislocated the left knee trying to contort the right hip back into place. It was embarrassing because I cried out. I must have blacked out for a moment because I felt a hand on my shoulder next. It was Sensei, seeing if I was okay. The last thing I want to do is worry anyone, especially Sensei. It is his dojo, after all.

But you know what? I just listened to my awesome physiotherapist and lay down to let the hip rest. It still hasn't gone back in yet. While I lay down I tried to breathe peacefully. I practiced the kata drill lying down using just my upper body, and I felt good! I was proud of myself for not having given up. When I could, I sat up and did the drills for jodan yoko uke and jodan uke. Then I stood on one leg and continued.

When it was time to spar I knew that wouldn't be an option, so I went and sat out. But I stayed so I could line up and bow out with the class, and that felt good.

It's really hard some days to deal with EDS emotionally. I felt sad and disappointed that I couldn't fix my hip. I still do, despite the fact that I'm as fierce as any lion. I'm fierce, but I have feelings.

I love karate. A busted hip is not going to stop me.

No comments:

Post a Comment