Sunday, May 4, 2014

This Ain't No Wimbledon

I've taken a week off from karate to get me life things in order but I miss my dojo family and my practices. I look forward to getting back into it. Sometimes it's good to switch gears for a while. It enriches the first activity.

It's been almost a decade since I last picked up a tennis racket, but I did this week, having found in my closet a beautifully strung and wrapped racket in my closet which my mother had given me. It's Breast Cancer Awareness pink and my stabilizing sneakers are called the Brooks Beast. I'm bringing this up because our shouldn't matter what you like to wear or how you are comfortable presenting. There are such greater things about who we are as people.

The night before, I had sustained an excruciating cuboid dislocation that I couldn't reduce. I iced and splinted it all night, then heated and reset the bones in the morning. I cannot believe that it worked, and with no residual pain.

When I got to the court I decided I was going to take my time and let the balls go instead of running after them more than a few steps. To my incredible surprise I still have fairly good control of the ball after all these years. My body was fine and I had a very active day the day after, too.

Having only four of them and muscle hypitonia to slaughter my racquet control, I go into the woods beyond the tennis fence fairly regularly to retrieve the balls. 

Because I'm not too steady on my feet even with stabilizers the walk is always quite painful. To save my steps I stop at the edge of the woods and visually locate all four balls. I draw an imaginary regression line among them and plot my course. This reduces the risk of falls in that it reduces my number of steps, time in the woods, and it keeps the pain as low as possible.

Maybe it's the cool weather, maybe it's all the hard work, but I feel good about this and I am thrilled with the strength and stability I've gained from karate.

I won't try biking anytime soon, or likely ever, but I'm happy to have tennis back. It's like I've started up a pulse that had flatlined.

I get distracted very easily. I'm glad to add tennis to a non-karate night but I want to remain committed to karate. What a great day to be alive, as I write this from the ground of the tennis court, the breeze running over my thighs as I stretch my quads.

This is gooood. :)

Be well.

Dem's sexay legs. They does good things.  

No comments:

Post a Comment